Freight shipping is now easier than ever before. Anything and everything can be transported. Many freight carriers have now made it possible to not only transport goods, but also animals. Pet dogs, racing horses, and wild animals now have the luxury of alighting from a plane just as humans do.
Freight companies are confidently crossing borders, be it from Europe to Africa or America to Asia. These freight carriers allow for shipment of both smaller and larger goods. You do not have to get to a major airport to have your shipment sent as most shipment carries have different drop-off and pick-up locations for your convenience.
It is possible to ship just about anything as shipping companies have advanced freight technology. Your cargo can be tracked as you get updated at every stage through notifications on your Smartphone.
Freight shipping services also comes with packaging services, relieving you of the hassle to look for packaging material. Below are the types of freights shipping modes.
- Less Than Truckload (LTL) – This is considered the most affordable and most preferred shipping method. LTL is shipped by truck from your pick-up location to your drop-off location. It is considered cost effective because it allows you to share a truck with other shippers.
- Full Truckload- This is when your shipment occupies the entire truck. This allows for oversized loads like heavy commercial equipment.
- Partial Truckload- This type of freight shipment is dedicated to sensitive and fragile cargo. This type of service can be expensive so a lot of considerations have to be put in place.
Other types of freight shipping are Intermodal, Dry Van and Flatbed.
Freight transportation rates will vary due to many factors. The size, weight, fragility and perish ability of the commodities, and the urgency of your shipment will affect your cost. Before deciding on your shipment method, transparent and detailed information should be provided to you.
You will need to provide details of your cargo, including its fragility and urgency so as to get a better quote. You might choose to ship your cargo as an individual or join with other shippers. Individual shipping will be more expensive compared to group shipping. On the other hand, waiting for a freight company to have enough cargo on board so as to dispatch might be take time.
Freight shipping can be done through the following methods:
- Land- Roads and railway lines are mainly in this category. Large trucks and huge compartments in trains are necessary to fully satisfy the freight’s needs.
- Sea- This option is suitable for overseas transport as they can take different sizes and weights of freights,
- Air- This is the fastest method compared to land and sea transport and is mostly suitable for urgent freight.
These modes of transportation are advancing everyday in terms of speed, storage and intelligence freight technology. These adaptable technologies will enhance the efficiency of the freight shipping industry, by facilitating and moving freight shipments reliably and competitively.